Friday, October 15, 2004

Together Again?

NME Reports:

Estranged LIBERTINE PETE DOHERTY has revealed his plans to record a Christmas single with former bandmate CARL BARAT. The guitarist has said that he hopes the troubles between the pair can be buried and perhaps heal the rift with the group. Doherty said: "Oh yes, I'm going to collaborate with Carl Barat. No I'm not (joking). I'm going to. Even if I have to kidnap him." He added: "We're going to do a Christmas record. We always said we'd do a Christmas record. What better way to highlight the goodwill and forgiveness of man, than with a reunion?" However, Doherty did also say that he has still had no contact with the band since his failed attempts at rehab to treat his drug addiction. "You're joking aren't you?" he told Xfm. "I haven't spoken to anyone since the day I went to Thailand (to the Thamkrabok Monastery in June). No, not at all. You know what I mean? I try but there's only so much I can take."

Speaking about Babyshambles, who release their new single 'Killamangiro' on November 29, Doherty revealed that the band have been working hard in the studio on new material.

We went inside Odessa studios in Clapton [October 12] and we worked about 20 hours solid in there, just getting new ideas down," he said. "The idea was to get some new songs down but we just ended up running through brand new things. So hopefully before the end of the month we'll have the foundations of a great album."

The band are also expected to head out on a "little Northern tour" around the release of 'Killamangiro'.

As previously reported on NME.COM, Babyshambles play tonight (October 15) as part of a Love Music Hate Racism gig with The Cooper Temple Clause at London's The Coronet.

"Hopefully people will understand that it's something very important to me," Doherty explained, "And all the people that are involved in it, and are part of it together, who are trying to get the message across, I respect what they've done in the past – doing events, campaigns, keeping racism out of football, and I just feel it's a positive thing, a very positive thing to be involved in. It's quite simple, I am an anti-fascist. They might me old-fashioned 'leftie' ideals, but I'll do my bit."

Babyshambles are on the cover of this week's NME, which is out now.